2 DAY BURSARY FUNDED COURSE: DEVELOPING KNOWLEDGE & PRACTICAL SKILLS FOR D&T GCSE
Understand the knowledge requirements of design and technology GCSE and the depth of content needed for successful delivery
Develop your confidence to deliver the GCSE subject content, using equipment and resources outside of your material specialism
Gain resources and ideas that you can use straight away
Would you like to increase your confidence in teaching new or unfamiliar content?
Would you like to develop your knowledge and skills outside of your specialist area?
Are you looking for ways of engaging students in content not traditionally taught in your material area?
This two day course will help you develop the practical skills and knowledge to deliver the design and technology GCSE. It is aimed at teachers from all material areas (product design, textiles, resistant materials, graphics, etc…) and will support the teaching of all exam specifications.
* Teaching the tricky bits eg levers, mechanisms, forces, stresses, electronics
* Developing material knowledge, exploring the properties and uses of a range of materials
* Hands-on experience of materials, developing your confidence in processes that might be outside of your traditional specialism
* Exploring how non-traditional equipment can be used in a classroom to teach GCSE subject content, allowing for activities to be carried out in a non-specialist room
* Lots of ideas for activities that can be used in the classroom to develop your key stage 4 curriculum
* Suggestions on how current classrooms and staffing might be used to deliver the design and technology GCSE
Please note, whilst this course will spend time focused on equipment, the majority of content will focus on activities that can be carried out in a non-specialist room and approaches to teaching GCSE content without traditional machinery.
What delegates say about this course:
* Excellent examples of practical tasks and how they relate to the new course. All good but especially the link with textiles.
* Some great ideas and processes I hadn’t thought about.
* Great ideas and a lot of fun - great ways to introduce theory in a practical way.
* Starting to bring D&T alive in a new and exciting way. Great inspiration.
* Very clear and informative - good mix of activities and information.
* Excellent, so useful. Easy to understand, lots of resources and ideas.
This is a 2 day course run by Paul & Julie Boyd on behalf of the National STEM Learning Centre. State schools can apply for a bursary which covers the cost of the course and accomodation. Independent schools can attend the course but have to pay the full course fee (the link has details on this and also has a link to the bursary information).
See more details and information on this course at https://www.stem.org.uk/node/315923. For information on how to attend the course for free look for the links to the Enthuse bursary.
There are other free courses that we are running at the STEM Learning Centre. Visit https://goo.gl/hcaSxK to see the full list.