The first Earth Day, on April 22, 1970, marked the beginning of the modern environmental movement. An estimated 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and classrooms to show their commitment to protecting Earth by encouraging better practices for a healthy and sustainable environment.
This year the Kiawah Conservancy invites you to join us for an Earth Day Celebration on April 20 from 4:00-7:00PM at the Naturally Kiawah Demonstration Garden in Night Heron Park.
Environmental stewardship is the foundation for a healthy and sustainable community. The Kiawah Conservancy is dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of Kiawah’s natural resources. Through focus on research and education, the Conservancy encourages citizens to become leaders in environmental conservation for the benefit of all.
The Celebration will include:
• Edisto Serpentarium presentation and hands on experiences
• Ladybug releases in the Garden throughout the event time
• A Native Plant Sale and Farmer’s Market
• Art and photography strolls in the Garden
• Meet and greets with Island naturalists and their favorite animals from the Kiawah Island Nature Center
• Get up-close and personal with a Diamondback Terrapin and learn about how you can help this endangered
• Representatives from: Lowcountry Marine Mammal Network, Kiawah Island Shorebird Stewardship, Charleston Bee Keepers, and more
• Learn about Island research efforts and wildlife
• Learn about Kiawah Conservancy’s conservation efforts, habitat program, preserved properties, educational opportunities, and how you can help
• An opportunity to join the Kiawah Garden Keepers and help keep the Naturally Kiawah Garden beautiful
• Live music on the lawn beginning at 5:00PM
• Children will enjoy a variety of crafts, face painting, games, slide and jump castle, and much more!
The Kiawah Conservancy’s Earth Day Celebration is a great opportunity to increase environmental awareness in our community. We encourage you to join us for this free, fun, family oriented event and learn how you can make a difference.