NORDEM's biannual Early Music competition for young artists
It's time to apply to the early music competition EAR-ly 2018!
DEADLINE for application is MAY 1, 23:59 CET.
See rules for participation below.
The 2018 edition of EAR-ly competition will be held 21-22 September in Copenhagen, Denmark, hosted by Copenhagen Renaissance Music Festival. The overall aim of EAR-ly is to encourage the formation of new early music ensembles and to stimulate the interest in early music among young musicians throughout the Nordic and Baltic countries.
Early music means medieval, renaissance or baroque repertoire, performed according to the latest HIP standards. An emphasis on older repertoire is encouraged. The criteria for selection are musical quality, detailed stylistic knowledge, communicative authenticity, and, in the final round, overall artistry.
RULES FOR PARTICIPATION
• EAR-ly 2018 is open to
(a) vocal, instrumental or mixed ensembles consisting of a minimum of 3 (three) and a maximum of 7 (seven) members;
(b) vocal or instrumental soloists, performing either alone or with 1 (one) accompanist;
• An individual musician may compete in a maximum of 2 (two) ensembles. Soloists may perform in both categories: as a soloist and as a member of 1 (one) ensemble;
• All entrants must without exception be born no earlier than 1 January 1984. This age limit does not apply to soloists' accompanists;
• All participants must be either citizens of one of the Nordic or Baltic countries or permanent residents of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Åland, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania. Accompanists are exempted from this rule.
• The competition has two parts: a preliminary round and a final presentation.
• Audio files for the preliminary round (see APPLICATION PROCESS 1) must include a minimum of 2 (two) separate works, or parts of works, with a total duration of no more than 12 minutes.
Deadline: 23:59 (CET) on 1 May 2018.
1. An unprocessed audio file of minimum 6 and maximum 12 minutes, containing a minimum of 2 (two) separate works or parts of works. The audio file must be marked with a pseudonym. Please use one of the following formats: mp3, aiff or wav.
2. A PDF document containing the following information:
a. Name of the participants and details of instrumentation/vocal parts;
b. A copy of each participant's (including accompanist's) passport (photo page) or national ID card;
c. E-mail, postal address and phone number of a contact person;
d. Full and complete details of the final presentation in performance order. The total length should be c. 30 minutes;
e. A biography or CV of the soloists/ensembles, max.1000 characters;
f. Programme notes for the final presentation, max.1000 characters;
g. A link to the ensemble's/soloist's Facebook page and/or website.
3. A PR picture of the participants in print quality (300 dpi/inch). Please specify the name of the photographer.
Send the prepared material via https://wetransfer.com/ to email@example.com before the DEADLINE for applications which is 23:59 (CET) on 1 May 2018.
All applications will be evaluated anonymously by a jury consisting of NORDEM members.
• 4 (four) ensembles and/or soloists will be selected for the final presentation. They will be informed by e-mail on 31 May 2018 at the latest.
• The final presentation will be held in http://www.koncertkirken.dk/ in Copenhagen 21-22 September 2018.
• The first day includes a combined workshop/masterclass for all finalists. The second day will be used for rehearsals, and for the final presentations in front of an international jury and an audience.
• The accompanists of the soloists will not be evaluated.
• After the final presentations, each of the finalists will have a 15 minute feedback session with members of the jury.
• NORDEM will cover a portion of the finalists' travel expenses.
• Simple accommodation and meals will be provided by KoncertKirken and NORDEM.
• By taking part, participants agree that the final presentations may be recorded, filmed and broadcast live and/or subsequently by radio, television and internet with no fee obligation.
PRIZES AND AWARDS
• The winning ensemble/soloist of the EAR-ly 2018 competition will be invited to give 2-3 concerts within NORDEM member festivals during the seasons 2019-2021. All expenses will be covered, including travel and accommodation, and the ensemble/soloist will receive a symbolic fee.
• The jury reserves the right not to select a winner.
• The audience will select one ensemble/soloist for the special EAR-ly Audience Award. The winner of this award will be invited to perform at KoncertKirken in Copenhagen during the season 2019-20.
For general inquiries, please contact:
Helena Eriksson (NORDEM Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
or: Peter Pontvik (NORDEM Chairman) email@example.com
For questions concerning the venue, please contact:
Björn Ross (Copenhagen Renaissance Music Festiva/KoncertKirken) firstname.lastname@example.org