A holistic look at the structure, function and energetic effects of the common thread in all yoga asana styles and techniques – our spine! Our modern lifestyle exacerbate the ill effects of poor posture, mental stress and spiritual discontent and our spine bears the burden of these stressors. Likewise it is the influence of our spine, its central energy channel and energetic centres that enables yoga it to work its ‘magic’. In this workshop we explore the spine as the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual axis of our body and being.
Our spine has an ingenious architecture that affects our ability to perform asana, the health of our whole organism and reflects our feelings and beliefs. In this workshop:
- Explore the developmental curves of our spine and how each area’s unique structure determines how we perform asana.
- Understand the energetic anatomy of the spine and its vital role in our yoga practice.
- Appreciate variations on the ‘norm’ and how these effect functionality.
- Examine the different areas of the spine that are most prone to stress and how to alleviate these stresses.
- Learn how to heal disc lesions and other spine-related problems with asana and other specific rehabilitative exercises.
- Learn correctives, specific asana and other spine-sparing techniques to keep your spine supple and vital your life long!
Monica is a dedicated yogi, a registered Yoga Therapist, a Rehabilitative Doctor of Chiropractic and a compulsive educator. She trains Yoga Teachers in Applied Yoga Anatomy, Yoga as Physical Therapy and Healing Adjustments and writes regular informative blogs on these topics. Monica’s knowledge and experience, her calm manner and playful personality make learning from her easy and enjoyable.