Join Salem Sound Coastwatch and get involved in the City Nature Challenge 2018! We will be doing a walk through the Salem Woods on April 27th and making observations with the iNaturalist app. All data collected will be part of the City Nature Challenge: Boston area and will help create a more accurate picture of the biodiversity of our area! Meet at the Olde Salem Greens parking lot (75 Wilson Street, Salem Ma). Even if you are not a smartphone user, you can still join us to observe!
What is the CNC?
The City Nature Challenge is a global citizen science based observational study of plants and animals! Its goal is assess biodiversity within urban regions around the world! By taking part in the event you’ll be lending a hand in assessing what is living around Salem Sound and the Boston Area! We will be observing birds, fish, reptiles, plants and just about everything else that walks, flies, crawls, swims, and even just stand still!
Our effort will be part of the City Nature Challenge: Boston Area. This information will help create a more accurate picture of the Boston area's biodiversity, focusing within the I-495 corridor and out to Stellwagen Bank. Any observation made in the greater Boston area during these days will count for the challenge.
This project will utilize the free iphone/android app “iNaturalist”.
When is the CNC?
Where is the CNC?
Anywhere! While you can observe from your kitchen window if you like, Salem Sound Coastwatch will lead 3 observation sessions that you can jump in on. SSCW staff and volunteers will lead these sessions. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if possible!
1. April 27th – Salem Woods, 12:30-2 pm – Meet at the Olde Salem Greens parking lot (75 Willson Street, Salem Ma)
2. April 28th – Beverly Commons Conservation Area (Greenwood) – 10 - 12 pm – Meet at the entrance near Glen Urquhart on Farms Lane, Beverly MA
3. April 29th – Beverly Public Pier (Glover’s Wharf) – 11 – 12 pm – Meet at the parking lot near the Beverly Harbormaster’s Office (11 Cabot Street, Beverly)
Setting up iNaturalist
In order to take part in this project, you will have to download the iNaturalist app and create a free account.
1. Navigate to your app store on your mobile device.
2. Search for iNaturalist
3. Download the app
4. Create a profile
5. Join the “Salem Sound Coastwatch City Nature Challenge” Project
a. Select the “Projects” tab and hit the search symbol. Enter “Salem Sound Coastwatch City Nature Challenge” and select the project. Select “JOIN”
a. In “My Observations” screen select the plus symbol to add a new observation, follow steps and make sure GPS is on to record your location
i. Adding to SSCW project: at the bottom of Details page select “Add to project(s)”, Select “Salem Sound Coastwatch City Nature Challenge” and then select the check mark symbol at top right of screen to add this observation to project.
ii. Then can hit the check mark symbol at the top of the “Details” screen to save the observation.
You can also create an account on iNaturalist.com. You WILL have to download the app at some point!
1. Go to inaturalist.com
2. Click on “Sign up” on the homepage.
3. Under the “Projects” tab search for “Salem Sound Coastwatch City Nature Challenge” and select the project, at the top right of the project page select “Join Project”
4. Select the “Salem Sound Coastwatch City Nature Challenge” project under the “Projects” tab (make sure you are logged in), select “Add Observations” and fill out to best of your ability