Orleans County Historian Matthew Ballard will lead tours of Mt. Albion Cemetery during the month of August, each Sunday evening starting at 6:00pm. Each tour will assemble at the Chapel (main entrance) and depart at 6:05pm; tours will last approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. These are free and open to the public, no reservations required in advance (though feel free to RSVP through the Facebook event). Wear comfortable shoes and pack an umbrella (just in case), tours will run rain or shine. Parking is available inside the cemetery near the Chapel (please note that there are no bathrooms on the grounds).
2018 marks the 175th Anniversary of the opening of Mount Albion Cemetery. In May of 1843, Lorenzo Burrows and Alexis Ward selected a site two miles east of Albion on which to establish a new municipal cemetery. The land was formally dedicated on September 7, 1843 and the first burial (Coddington Swan) took place in October of the same year. The first two tours (Aug. 5th & 12th) will focus on the original area of the cemetery (the eastern half) where many of Orleans County's pioneer settlers are buried. The second two tours (Aug. 19th & 26th) will focus on the "newer" segments of the cemetery where other notable residents are interred.
Please contact the Department of History with any questions regarding these events (585-589-4174 or Matt.Ballard@orleanscountyny.gov).