This year, as part of the 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage and the Rollright Trust’s 20th Anniversary, the OYAP Trust is teaming up with the Rollright Trust to deliver a heritage-inspired community sculpture challenge. The challenge invites young people, aged 7-25, to create up to 43 sculptures inspired by the site and its associations that will fill the empty spaces of missing stones around the King’s Men stone circle (see briefing diagram next page).
The challenge is divided into 3 categories, Primary School, Secondary Schools and Young Artists, each with a first prize of £150.
The Rollright Stones is an ancient site located on the boundary between Oxfordshire and Warwickshire. They form three main monuments: The King’s Men stone circle, the Whispering Knights burial chamber and the King Stone standing stone, dating to various stages of pre-history. They are valued for many reasons including archaeology, geography, geology, lichens, legends, spiritual associations, ceremonies and ritual.
We are inviting schools, youth groups (scouts, guides, after school art clubs and more) to enter the competition, by submitting an initial design concept by 27th April. These designs should be on A4 paper and set out:
- A sketch and very brief description of the sculpture you will create
- Your proposed materials
- The outline size and proportions that you select for your piece as per the categories 1 to 7 indicated on the briefing diagram
The OYAP Trust will then provide successful applicants two half-day support sessions with a professional artist to help groups develop their ideas and artworks further. Individual applicants may join these sessions.
We encourage groups to think of using found objects and recyclable items with materials they have readily available in their environment and life. Sculptures should be weather resistant. Provided the technical (legal) conditions of the scheduled monument consent—as listed on the briefing diagram — are met, there is no limit on how groups respond to the Stones or how many sculptures they choose to submit.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the full information pack.
Key Information and Dates for Schools and Youth Groups:
By submitting initial designs the successful applicants will receive:
- 16th April - 26th April: 1 x introductory pack to the stones/Intro talk about Rollright Stones and previous art initiatives
- 8th May - 1st June: 2 x half day artist’s support: (for the first 10 successful applications)
- £20 materials budget support (for the first 10 successful applications)
Other key dates
- 27th April: Initial concept design deadline: emailed to email@example.com
- 6th June: Artwork Completion Deadline
- 8th June: Artwork delivery to OYAP Trust (StudiO2, Cemetery Road, Bicester, OX26 6BB)
- 22nd June (TBC): Unveiling party & prizes; opening public exhibition
- 29th July (TBC): Rollright Trust open day; end of exhibition.