APPLICATION OF ADAPTIVE VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS
This 2-day course is ideal for those desiring knowledge of adaptive driving equipment as well as the process for prescribing and delivering such equipment to individuals with disabilities. Topics will cover adaptive driving equipment assessment, low tech equipment options, high tech driving systems, writing prescriptions, vehicle / equipment fitting and wheelchair passenger accommodations. The course also covers collaboration with local mobility equipment dealers and drivers for best-fit options.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
• Analyze the taxonomy used in driver rehabilitation and vehicle modifications.
• Describe various client vehicle transfer options.
• Discuss key principles in driver positioning and vehicle fit.
• Compare and differentiate between low tech equipment and high tech driving systems.
• Analyze primary and secondary driving control modification options for drivers with various disabilities.
• Discuss documentation elements and best practice with respect to vehicle adaptations and adaptive vehicle prescription writing.
• Compare various mobility device stowage, securement and carrier options.
• Assess vehicle and equipment fitting.
• Develop effective collaboration with the mobility equipment dealer.
• Discuss key principles of securement for wheelchair dependent drivers and passengers.