SciFest: Brain Matters is all about the incredibly hard-working brain! Come learn more about how it works as the control center of the body, and how to take good care of it! Meet and talk to scientists and other professionals who work with brain health, brain development, and other “brain matters” right here in St. Louis!
11:15am Special Presentation by Dr. Adam Eggebrecht, assistant professor of radiology and a researcher at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology: Brains in Toyland: Shining a Light on the Mind
Come discover tools and toys being developed that can “see” what your brain’s doing while you're walking, talking, watching TV … even daydreaming!
12:15 Amazing Science Demo: Creepy Chemistry
Chemistry is everywhere, including your brain! Your brain operates constantly using chemicals called neurotransmitters. Come wrap your brain around some crazy and creepy chemical reactions at this Amazing Science Demo.
1:15pm Special Presentation by Zi the Mentalist: Magic and the Brain: The Psychology and Neuroscience of Magic
Magicians can perform seemingly impossible feats. Come find out how our brains and senses really work, and how magic works to seemingly fool both!
2:15 Amazing Science Demo: The Scoop on Poop
Everybody poops, and your brain has something do with that, and every other thing your body does too. Come learn something new about poo in this Amazing Science Demo.
3:15 Amazing Science Demo: A Hair-Raising Experience
The cells in your brain send enough electrical signals all the time that they could collectively power a low-wattage lightbulb! Come learn more about how electricity is created and how it works in this Amazing Science Demo.
Brain Matters Partners and Activities
• Check out a real brain, brain cells, activities, and games at Amazing Brain Carnival presented by Washington University in St. Louis
• Visit with the St. Louis Healthcare Recruiting Team, and meet the Army’s interactive SIM man, showcasing Army medicine.
• Try some brain-building activities designed for our youngest visitors (children 5 years old and younger) with LUME Institute
• Find out more about protecting the brain and proper helmet use and safety with staff from St. Louis Children’s Hospital
• Explore facts and myths about concussions with staff from Washington University and St. Louis Children’s Young Athlete Center
• Participate in a variety of “brainy” arts and crafts projects along with Saint Louis University - Psychology Department
Preschool Science at SciFest!
Check out our SciFest-themed classes designed for young children, ages 3-5.
Tickets required. $8 per member child (ages 3+); $10 non-members
One adult per 4 children required. Reservations available and recommended as space is limited.
April 14th Brain Games
May 12th Cloudy Weather
Mark your calendar for upcoming SciFest events in 2018!
May12: Tornado Alley
June 16: Paws and Claws
July 21: One Giant Leap
August 11: Bright Ideas Expo
September 22: Rock, Fossil, Quake
October 13: The Great Outdoors
November 10: Healthy U.
SLSC Membership Special: Purchase a Family & Friends Membership or above, and save $10 during SciFest!