“It always seems too early, until it’s too late.” – That’s the sentiment behind National Healthcare Decisions Day. The day is set aside to educate the public about the importance of advance care planning.
National Healthcare Decisions Day will be observed on Monday, April 16. SSM Health will offer community members the chance to complete a power of attorney for healthcare (POAHC) form.
Why is this important? POAHC forms allow you to make your wishes known, and appoint two family members or friends 18 years or older to make healthcare decisions for you if two doctors determine you can no longer decide for yourself. Wisconsin is not a "next of kin" or "family consent" state. This means that if you don't have a POAHC form naming a decision maker, your family may have to pursue legal guardianship through the courts to make medical decisions for you if you become incapacitated.
SSM Health social workers will be available at the following locations from 9-1pm on April 16 to answer questions, provide information and help with filling out the document.
• SSM Health Dean Medical Group - Baraboo, Lake Wisconsin Room
• SSM Health Outpatient Center (Neurology Dept., 3rd Floor), Consultation Room
• SSM Health Dean Medical Group - Madison West, Prairie Room
• SSM Health Dean Medical Group - Madison East, Amethyst Room (right off of the main entrance)
• SSM Health Dean Medical Group - Sun Prairie, Atrium/lobby