We’ve invited one of the leading lights to emerge from the burgeoning lo-fi house scene, DJ Seinfeld for one of his masterful and unpredictable sets.
Armand Jakobsson is the artist known as DJ Seinfeld, Rimbaudian and Birds of Sweden. Under these aliases you’ll find sweeping emotive cuts, verdant dancefloor workouts and discerning dips into jungle and breaks. Releases have come on respected labels including Meda Fury, Ectotherm, UN.T.O and Lobster Fury: the collaborative label from Lobster Theremin and Meda Fury begun for the explicit purpose of releasing his tracks.
DJ Seinfeld’s beats are ultimately guided by an idea of authenticity, true to the spirit of the early house pioneers and the unabashed rawness the confines of their equipment demanded. A lot’s been made of this lo-fi fuzz, with many clamoring to declare it a scene, but he won’t be put into a box. His path is his own. A microphone picks up the tension and release of a singer: charged with emotion, the machine can’t handle it. The rough edges of his productions emit the same sensibility.
Footage of his gigs or their post-show reaction exemplifies the reception he gets as a DJ. Biographies often claim a DJ regularly ‘sends crowds into rapture’ or ‘lays waste to the floor,’ but in DJ Seinfeld’s case pandemonium is the default. Mixes show his deft control of build-up and feel in the booth, while his miniseries for legendary London station Rinse FM in May ‘DJ Seinfeld presents...’, was a master class in the kind of wonky left-field house he peppers his sets with.
With a strong local support from Pretty Pretty Good resident, Yak, underground hero, Coxie, and newcomers The Native Project, this is will be a serious line up for the heads.
LINE UP >>>
Yak (Pretty Pretty Good/VERSION)
The Native Project
Tuesday 1st May
11pm – 3.30am
Last entry 12:30am
Foundry SU: http://bit.ly/su_seinfeld
Party For The People: http://bit.ly/pf_seinfeld
Paper tickets available from Sheffield SU Box Office with no booking fees!
Sheffield Students’ Union
Open to all (18+)
Non Students welcome
- ID scanning is a condition of entry for all club nights at Sheffield SU. If you are unable to provide ID or a U-Card you will not be allowed entry, regardless of your age.
- If you’re drinking, be responsible and know your limits.
- Make sure you get home safe and with friends.
- If you’re worried about a friend, or if you see anybody who may need help, please let a member of staff know straight away.
- Keep an eye on your drinks and don’t leave them unattended.
- The Students’ Union has a zero tolerance policy toward drug use at its licensed venues. Searches will be in operation, as well as sniffer dogs for some events. Students found in possession of illegal substances will be banned for a minimum of 6 weeks and can face a lifetime ban. In extreme cases, students can be arrested and expelled from University. Non-students found in possession of illegal substances will be banned for life and in some circumstances can be arrested.
- Taking drugs bought from unknown sources can lead to life-threatening illnesses. Be aware of the current risks: www.talktofrank.com
- Free water & earplugs are available from behind the bar.
- Strobe lighting will be in use at the event.