June 9-16, 2018
Sponsored by the National Institute of Flamenco, Festival Juvenil is the youth component of Festival Flamenco Internacional de Alburquerque. This new program is launching as part of FFI 31 as the premiere, national flamenco camp for serious young flamenco dancers ages 10-15. Students will take exclusive Festival Juvenil classes together as part of a selective cohort of dancers, in addition to select Festival Flamenco workshops. Students will be surrounded by the vibrant energy of Festival Flamenco participants and over 40+ Spanish Guest Artists, as the camp is located on site with our full line up of Festival Flamenco workshops at the University of New Mexico. This program provides a bridge for teen and tween dancers who are ready for the next level of their flamenco training in a highly-focused, supportive, and supervised environment. Only 20 spots are available for the 2018 Festival Juvenil. Registration will be taken on a first paid, first reserved basis.
Teens and tweens ages 10-15 with higher levels of experience (3+ years of Flamenco Kids Camp or equivalent technique experience at their studio) may apply to particpate in Festival Juvenil, the youth component of Festival Flamenco Internacional de Alburquerque. Please feel free to contact us regarding questions about student placement. We also offer our 2-week Flamenco Kids Camp for children ages 6-12, which is open to absolulte beginners, new students, and children with beginning to intermediate level flamenco dance experience.
Within their cohort, dancers will take the following classes daily:
· Stretch & Warm-Up (optional)
· Beginning/Intermediate Flamenco Technique
· Intermediate Choreography with Festival Guest Artist, Vanesa Coloma
· Private choreography review session for Festival Juvenil participants
· Special Topic Rotation: Flamenco Costuming & Hands-On Sewing courses (special focus on a different topic daily)
· Rhythm & Cajón with Festival Guest Artist, José de Mode
· Cuadro & Student Choreography with Yjastros Soloist, Carlos Menchaca
Included with tuition, students also receive:
· Festival Juvenil T-Shirt
· Festival Juvenil Tote Bag
· Practice Skirt or Warm-Up pants
· Youth Size Cajón (students will take the instrument home at the end of the camp)
· Daily Sack Lunch & Snacks provided by Festival Flamenco’s “Café Olé”
· and tickets to attend TWO (2) world-class flamenco performances held during this year’s 31st Annual Festival Flamenco Internacional de Alburquerque (1 ticket per show).
The camp concludes with a free afternoon performance on Saturday, June 16th for friends and family at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, where students demonstrate all they have learned during the course of the Festival Juvenil.
How do I register my child?
Applicants must complete the online or paper registration form in its entirety along with parent/guardian signature(s).
You may access ONLINE registration forms at: https://nifnm.formstack.com/forms/festivaljuvenil2018
You can mail or hand-deliver PAPER registration forms along with payment to:
The National Institute of Flamenco
1620 Central Avenue SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106