The Turchin Center for the Visual Arts at Appalachian State University invites the community to the First Friday Downtown Boone Art Crawl on April 6. In addition to exploration of the art showing in the seven galleries of the Turchin, there will be a special event: “Theater Piece #1 Revisited: A Happening” which is part of the Black Mountain College campus semester. The galleries will be open until 9 p.m. and The Happening will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. The evening will include refreshments, a cash bar and is free and open to the public.
The Happening is a celebration of what is credited to be the original “happening,” which occurred at the Black Mountain Summer School in 1952. "Happenings" started in the 1950s and encourage people to look at art in a non-conventional manner and realize the relationship between various forms of performance. "The Happening" at the Turchin Center will include performances throughout the galleries including poetry, music, dance, performance and film.
Current exhibitions at the Turchin:
· “Art Department Faculty Biennial”
· “Creative Democracy: The Legacy of Black Mountain College”
· “Pieces of the Puzzle: Community Outreach”
· “Appalachian Mountain Photography Competition”
· “High Country Herbarium: Preserving Plants & Plant Communities in the Southern Appalachians”
For more information, visit: https://tcva.appstate.edu/exhibitions