Diving is an amazingly safe sport . . . until it isn't. But we're all human and things happen. In fact, a has shown that 69% of diving accidents are caused by diver error. So the last thing you'd want to hear is, "Sorry, there's no chamber in the area so there’s nothing we can do for you." Fortunately, that's NOT the case in SoCal. Since 1974, divers have relied on the USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber to bail us out when things go wrong. And once again, our Chamber is counting on you.
2018 marks our Chamber's 44th year of unbending service to the Southern California diving community. While our Chamber still gets about half of its funding from the L.A. County, Chamber Day & Eve have become the major source of funds to keep our Chamber available to us 24/7/365. And that's why we need you to participate in Chamber Day & Eve 2018 on Wednesday, May 2. And we're trying some new things this year that we hope you'll find inviting.
This is our 30th annual Chamber Day event. The first one in 1989 attracted about 200 divers and netted about $15,000 for our Chamber. Over the years the event has grown to over 1,000 participants by adding Chamber Eve, the Flying Dutchman, and the Chamber Challenge. Last year we raised just under $106,000 for our Chamber. We are justifiably considered the largest single-day scuba charity event in the United States and perhaps even the world.
It’s important to know that ALL money raised goes to the Chamber. No administrative fees are deducted from the proceeds, the participating SoCal boats donate their time and services, the manufacturers donate gear for raffle prizes, the Aquarium of the Pacific donates their facility for Chamber Eve (we still have to pay for the food), hundreds of volunteers donate their time, and you (hopefully) donate your money.
Here’s how you get involved:
* Chamber Day - Two dives at Catalina and a walking tour of the Chamber facilities including meeting rescue personnel from various first-responder agencies.
* The Flying Dutchman - For those who can’t do the daytime dive. (IMPORTANT NOTE - IT'S A FAKE BOAT AND YOU'RE NOT REALLY GOING ANYWHERE.)
* The Chamber Challenge - Direct donations which can also be in someone's memory.
* Daytime Raffle - Lots of prizes and you don't have to be present to win.
* Chamber Evening - Sit-down dinner at the Aquarium of the Pacific.
* V.G.D. (Very Generous Diver) Package - Limited (150 people) add-on to a Chamber Evening ticket that gets you early access, free close-in preferred ground-level parking, and other goodies.