Father Muller Medical College, located about a kilometre from the National Highway-17 at Kankanady in Mangalore, is a religious minority educational institution forming a part of the Father Muller Charitable Institutions . It is famous for being one of the oldest hospitals in Mangalore.HistoryFr. Muller's Hospital, a well-known household name, opened its doors to the people of South Canara in 1880. It started when Fr. Augustus Muller S.J., a German Jesuit priest dispensed homeopathic medicines under a Banyan tree. It went on to become a Leprosy hospital (now known as the St Joseph's Leprosy Hospital) and then into a fully fledged hospital. Its started the School of Nursing which offered diplomas in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) and later College of Nursing which offered degree in Bachelor of Nursing Science.In 1989, Fr. Muller Institute of Medical Education and Research was duly constituted. Fr. Muller's Institute of Medical Education and Research (FMIMER) started in 1991 with postgraduate courses and then went on to include other courses under its banner, including the Bachelors in Physiotherapy (1994–95), M.Sc in Hospital Administration (1996) and Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) course in 1999. It was thereby was raised to the status of Medical College.