Feistritz an der Gail is a town in the district of Villach-Land in Carinthia in Austria. It is close to the borders with both Italy and Slovenia. The Black Forest to the south of the town borders the Italian comune of Tarvisio, in the Province of Udine. There are several landmarks of importance in and around the town, including Ulli's Herb Garden, the House of Bats, the Parish Church of St. Martin and Mary Magdalene's Chapel.GeographyFeistritz, the largest community in the Lower Gail Valley, covers an area of some 20km2. It is located at an elevation of 638m. The town's population, as of 2012, was 649. The forest to the south bordering Italy is named Schwarzwald, meaning Black Forest. Nötsch im Gailtal is located approximately to the north of Feistritz an der Gail. The nearby Feistritzer Alm reaches a height of 1700m at the foot of the Oisternig (2052m).HistoryThe first documented reference to Feistritz is to be found in a deed from 1119. Breeding of Noriker horses began in the 14th century as the marshy land resulting from the Dorbatsch landspill in 1348 was unsuitable for cattle. The inhabitants of the Gail Valley are known for their courage and sense of business, acquired over centuries of trade, as they transported goods from Italy to Salzburg and Bavaria. Under the rationalization of Austrian municipalities in 1973, the former Municipality of Feistritz became part of the Municipality of Hohenthurn.