|About||Spanning six generations, First Christian is a diverse people with a common story. We affirm the historic Disciple principle, “In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things love.” Our commitment is to live in mutual respect.|
Our Core Values: Hope, Inclusiveness, Love, Trust and Integrity.
Our Bedrock Beliefs: We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God; and we acknowledge him as our Lord and Savior; and we accept the Bible as the standard of evaluation for all matters of faith. Beyond these “essentials”, in keeping with Disciple principles, “We have no creed but Christ, no book but the Bible.” We affirm the Preamble to the Design of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as a guideline for life, faith and service.
Our Motivating Vision: To become a church that builds bridges of communication and understanding across the generations.
Our Purpose: To make disciples within and beyond our congregational membership, helping them to identify their Spiritual Gifts of Service and encouraging, mentoring and resourcing the use of their gifts in service to God and in service to God’s people.
Our Motivating Vision — the way we see ourselves growing into God’s call to be a faithful, growing church.
• The greatest challenge presented to us by our culture is the diverse values—often mutually contradictory—held by the generations alive today.
• As demonstrated by their absence in church life, most people born after 1965 cannot connect with the values of a church built—and now protected—by those born prior to 1965.
Our Purpose — the key activities through which we honor and glorify God in the midst of a spiritually yearning, institutionally disillusioned public.
• Service to God and to God’s people is what establishes the integrity of our life and faith. It is the reason we exist.
• Our specific purpose will emerge out of our Values, Beliefs and Vision, in combination with the cumulative pattern of our people’s spiritual gifts.
• Where our people’s gifts and the needs of the community cross or connect, there our Purpose will be discovered.