Frasco is a municipality in the district of Locarno in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland.HistoryFrasco is first mentioned in 1235 as Felasco. During the Middle Ages, Frasco was part of the greater Vicinanza of Verzasca. In 1395, it and Sonogno formed a single political municipality, which existed until 1843. The village church of St. Bernhard was probably built in the 14th Century. The present church dates from 1868–69 and stands on the foundations of the old building. In 1518 Frasco and Sonogno separated from the parish of Vogorno and formed their own parish, which lasted until it divided again in 1734. For centuries, the inhabitants lived on agriculture and alpine seasonal migrations with livestock. Starting in 1870, the Val d'Efra, a vein of white marble, was exploited for limestone quarries. In 2000, the agricultural sector was the only sector providing jobs in Frasco, while about two-thirds of the workers were commuters. In the hamlet of Piede della Motta, there are frescoes from the 15th Century. All of the old settlement areas of the municipality are now protected as historical buildings. More recently, however, many houses have been built in the municipality.GeographyFrasco has an area, of 25.72km2. Of this area, 0.45km2 or 1.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 11.14km2 or 43.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.22km2 or 0.9% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.48km2 or 1.9% is either rivers or lakes and 12.09km2 or 47.0% is unproductive land.