|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The National Fred Harvey House is currently closed for renovation. Please contact us for a private tour.|
The Fred Harvey Residence
The three-story, 12-room mansion at 624 Olive Street was constructed in 1869 for Mr. A.A. Higginbotham, a wealthy real estate broker. In 1883 Fred Harvey paid nearly $25,000 to purchase the mansion for his family. The Harvey's filled their home with the finest furniture, art objects, and comforts of the era. The family remained in the residence until 1944 when they donated it to nearby Cushing Hospital to become a dormitory for nurse candidates. In 1949 the building was turned over to the Leavenworth Board of Education, which spent two years converting the space into meeting rooms and offices. In 1984 the Board of County Commissioners received the property and used it for various county services. In 1997, the structure was deeded to the Leavenworth Historical Museum Association, Inc. but actual change of possession did not occur until 2001. The building is being restored and will live on as the National Fred Harvey Museum.