A nonprofit organization who's purpose is to support and enhance the Muleshoe, Grulla and Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuges.
Our purpose for the Friends of High Plains Refuge Complex (FHPRC) is education and advocacy by supporting these refuges and their missions in wildlife conservation.
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to support and enhance the Muleshoe, Grulla and Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuges.
The Friends of the High Plains Refuge Complex was established to assist in the protection, support and enhancement the refuges through wildlife conservation, education, interpretation, living history and cultural programs, as well as communicate the importance of the refuges through conservation.
The Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge was the first National Wildlife Refuge established in Texas in 1935. It is located on the southern high plains of West Texas. The refuge lands are some of the only remaining native short grass prairie that has never been broken by a plow. The refuge resembles what the region would have looked like 200 plus years ago when Native American tribes and bison roamed the Llano Estacado. Muleshoe was established as a wintering area for migrating waterfowl and sandhill cranes. The refuge hosts on average 80,000 to 100,000 sandhill cranes annually.
Directions to Muleshoe Refuge
From Muleshoe, Texas: Take Highway 214 south 20 miles. Drive west on County Road 1248 and go approximately 2.25 miles to Headquarters.
From Morton, Texas: Take Highway 214 north 18 miles. Drive west on County Road 1248 and go approximately 2.25 miles to Headquarters.
Grulla National Wildlife Refuge has 3,236-acres that was officially established as a National Wildlife Refuge when the lands were transferred from the Bureau of Land Management in 1969. The refuge is a protected roost site for sandhill cranes and provides winter habitat for migratory waterfowl. It is managed for the benefit of wildlife and is open to the public for wildlife watching.
Directions to Grulla Refuge
From Muleshoe, Texas: Go south six miles on Highway 214, then follow FM 746 west approximately 22 miles to the New Mexico state line. Turn left onto the 1/2 mile long entrance road, which ends at a small parkin