The Gander Public Library is a public library located in Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It has been part of the community since 1937, occupying five separate buildings including its first and current locations.HistoryThe first home of the Gander Public Library was created by and for the personnel of the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1937 in one room of a multipurpose building in the RCAF Station Gander. Upon their departure after the end of World War II the forces donated the contents of the library to the remaining inhabitants. The library moved locations to follow the growth of the town away from the military base changing to a new building in both 1947 and 1952. In 1967 the library was moved again to the town hall, buying additional books in an auction from Boots UK as the firm discontinued the sale of these items in their business. The current building was established on Sept. 17, 1987. During the September 11 Attacks the library was used as a communications center after planes were diverted to the Gander International Airport, accommodating over 1100 people through the 5 days the service was in use.ServicesCollectionsThe Gander Public Library contains approximately 30,000 books including fiction, non-fiction and reference files in both English and French. The library has almost 3,000 DVD’s and over 500 CD’s in its collection.