Hoveringham is a small village and civil parish in Nottinghamshire about 10mi northeast of Nottingham and on the west side of the River Trent, just off the A612 trunk road to Southwell. The population of the civil parish as taken at the 2011 Census was 359. The adjacent area has extensive sand and gravel deposits which have been quarried there for many years.HistoricalHoveringham was in existence in 1086 in the hundred of Thurgarton, as indicated in the Domesday Book. The manor and lands had been, in the 13th century and later, in the possession of the Gousehill family, Sir Richard Gousehill, Knt., who was slain at the Battle of Shrewsbury 21 July 1403, being then Lord of the Manor of Hoveringham. This is confirmed in White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853: "Near the village there was once a ferry across the Trent to Kneeton. In the reign on Henry III it was possessed by Hugh de Hoveringham, and afterwards passed to the Goushill family, by whom a great part of the estate was given to Thurgarton Priory, from which it passed to Trinity College, Cambridge, which has since received other lands in lieu of the tithes. This parish was tithe free for upwards of 70 years until 1851, when four shillings per acre was laid on as tithe, but it is the opinion of all the freeholders that it is not legal. In 1795, many old writings and documents which were deposited in the church were destroyed by the great flood. It is supposed that the writings belonging to the land which was set apart in lieu of the tithes were amongst them. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., is lessee of the manorial rights, and of 647acre of college land, which was held by the Cooper family, from the time of the Reformation till 1830. There are about 20 freeholders in the parish. The church is a small, ancient structure, dedicated to St. Michael, and is in the patronage of the same college. It is a perpetual curacy, was valued at £60, and is annexed to that of Thurgarton."