Hutchesons' Grammar School is a co-educational independent school in the southside of Glasgow, Scotland. It was founded as Hutchesons Boys' Grammar School by the brothers George Hutcheson and Thomas Hutcheson in 1641 and was opened originally to educate orphans, starting with "twelve male children, indigent orphans".For much of its early life the boys' school was situated at Crown Street in the Gorbals. In 1876 a girls' school was opened in the former Gorbals Youth School in Elgin Street, moving to Kingarth Street in Pollokshields in 1912. The Boys' and Girls' schools amalgamated in 1976 at Beaton Road where the Boys' school had moved to in 1957. Kingarth Street became the co-ed primary school.In 2001, the school expanded into Glasgow's West End when it merged with Laurel Park School and created a nursery and primary school on Lilybank Terrace, although this has since closed. The building suffered heavy damage in a fire in November 2008.Today, "Hutchie", as the school is known informally, has around 1,300 pupils at Kingarth Street and Beaton Road. The current rector is Colin Gambles BSc.HistoryGeorge and Thomas Hutcheson set aside money for their school in 1641. The brothers originally intended the School to be for orphans. Archibald Edmiston, an orphan himself, became the School's first pupil in 1643 and, seven years later, the School had "12 boys on the roll", to whom the school song refers.The brothers built Hutchesons' Hospital Building in the Trongate which survived the fire that destroyed much of the city in 1652.The school required several moves to accommodate its growing number of pupils. It twice changed address before the school moved to Ingram Street in 1802. By 1815 the school had 76 pupils. By 1839 it stood at 120 which prompted the Patrons' decision to build a new school in Crown Street, Gorbals. The new building was opened in 1841 and remained in use until 1960.