|About||Community of catholic families who pray to Our Lord Jesus Christ in Byzantine tradition.|
Infant Jesus of Prague Church was originally dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. Its history began in 1907 when a group of people from Struthers, Ohio purchased property for a future church at 111 Frank Street. These Byzantine Catholics attended St. Mary's Church and, later, St. Nicholas Church in Youngstown, Ohio until their own church was finally erected in 1917. The first pastor of the new church was Father Anthony Mhley. The first resident pastor was Father Peter Racz, and it was under his administration that a rectory was built.
In 1946, Father Emil J. Mihalik was appointed pastor. During his administration the church was remodeled. Father Mihalik was responsible for promoting the establishment of Byzantine Catholic Central School, which would serve five parishes of the Youngstown area. The school was built in 1954 on Youngstown-Poland Road. Father Mihalik also was instrumental in employing the talents of the Sister Servants of Mary to staff the school.
Father George B. Petro was assigned to SS. Peter and Paul Church in 1958. Because many parishioners were moving to the suburbs, Father Petro recognized the necessity of moving the church to a more favorable location. Under his guidance, a 115-acre site was purchased on South Avenue in Boardman. A new church was built there in 1970. At this time, the name of the church was changed to Infant Jesus of Prague.
In 1982, a new 30-foot high dome was built above the original roof. This dome was topped by a 20-foot high drum and onion dome.
In 1990, Msgr. Alexis Mihalik was appointed pastor. Under his guidance, the interior of the church was remodeled to bring conformity with the liturgical prescriptions of the Byzantine Church. A one-tiered icon screen was installed, and a matching tetrapod was purchased. Both the icon screen and tetrapod are constructed of red oak, and all of the carving was done in Greece. A large brass chandelier was suspended from the middle of the ceiling and the walls were ado