|About||IOM is the leading international organisation working with migrants, governments, the private sector and members of the civil society to ensure a safe, humane and orderly migration that will benefit the countries of origin and destination alike.|
Established in 1951 as an intergovernmental organization to resettle European displaced persons, refugees and migrants, IOM has now grown to encompass a variety of migration management activities throughout the world.
With offices and operations on every continent, IOM helps governments and civil society through:
1) rapid humanitarian responses to sudden migration flows,
2) post-emergency return and reintegration programmes,
3) assistance to migrants on their way to new homes and lives,
4) facilitation of labour migration,
5) assisted voluntary return for irregular migrants,
6) recruitment of highly qualified nationals for return to their countries of origin,
7) aid to migrants in distress,
8) training and capacity-building of officials,
9) measures to counter trafficking in persons,
10) migration medical and public health programmes,
11) mass information and education on migration,
12) research related to migration management and other services for migrants.
As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to:
1) Assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management,
2)Advance understanding of migration issues,
3) Encourage social and economic development through migration, and
4) Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.