|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator-Based Sciences is a group of multi-disciplinary research laboratories administered by the National Research Foundation.|
|Mission||To provide state of the art facilities and programmes for high quality research, training and services in nuclear sciences and applications for the benefit of the people of South Africa and the continent in general.|
iThemba LABS brings together scientists working in the physical, medical and biological sciences. The facilities provide opportunities for modern research, advanced education, the treatment of cancers and the production of unique radioisotopes.
Our company's primary focus is on providing scientifically and medically useful radiation through the acceleration of charged particles using the Separated Sector Cyclotron, the Van der Graaff Accelerator and other appropriate technologies.
iThemba LABS aims to be the primary centre of expertise in radiation medicine and nuclear science and technologies to advance the knowledge and health of the people of Africa.
• are the only producer in South Africa of acceleratorbased radionuclides, radiopharmaceuticals for nuclear medicine and mainstream radiopharmaceuticals for positron emission tomography (PET) studies,
• house the only PEPT-facility in the Southern hemisphere,
• have the world’s only high-resolution magnetic spectrometer (K600) to measure proton energies in the 66 – 200 MeV range. A 0°-mode was recently added to expand capabilities,
• are the only facility to offer both protons and neutrons for particle therapy,
• are the world’s only producer of current Good Manufacture Practise (cGMP) 68Ge/68Ga generators and 22Na-positron sources for annihilation studies, and
• supply 25% of the world’s demand for 82Sr.
a) Basic and applied research using particle beams
b) Particle radiotherapy for the treatment of cancer
c) The supply of accelerator-produced radioactive isotopes for nuclear medicine and research