|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Connecting James Ross Chapter members, and perspective members, to the Chapter news and events.|
In June 1909, twenty enthusiastic, patriotic women gathered for their first Daughters of the American Revoluntion meeting under Charter #852 at the home of Mrs. F. D. Hutchings. Mrs. Matthew Scott, President General, and Lillie Guernsey, Kansas State Regent, signed the Charter.
The chapter chose the name of James Ross, honoring the Revolutionary ancestor of Mrs. Hutchings and her mother, Mrs. Nancy Ross Wemple. Private James Ross was of the same family as Betsy Ross. He served from 30 June 1777 to 21 September 1777 from Wooster County, New York. He also served nine months under General George Washington.
James Ross Chapter, originally formed in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, has been active from its beginnings in the promotion and preservation of historic sites. The chapter was involved in efforts to save Huron Indian Cemetery, which was entered in the National Registrar of Historic Places in September 1971. In 1923 the chapter placed a granite marker on the grounds of the Kansas City Kansas Public Library in Huron Square, located immediately east of Huron Park. The chapter also formed the first Red Cross Chapter in Kansas City, Kansas, during World War I. Chapter members served over 9,000 hours for the Red Cross during the years of World War II.
In 1927 the chapter was instrumental in initiating the restoration of the Shawnee Indian Mission and has worked to maintain that historical site in Fairway, Kansas.
The chapter was instrumental in establishing other DAR chapters in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties. Chapter member, Beverly Rodgers, was the original coordinator for the joint efforts of the DAR chapters in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties hostessing the Naturalization Ceremonies for new citizens at the Federal Courthouse. A James Ross chapter member has held that position since 1940.
As time passed, most James Ross members were living in Johnson County and in 1996, after following correct NSDAR procedures, our official location was changed to Shawnee,
|Founded||James Ross Chapter, originally formed in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, has been active from its beginnings in the promotion and preservation of historic sites.|