We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Jews' Gate Cemetery

Jews' Gate Cemetery

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Get Directions

Add phone number

Add link to website

Categories
Work hours Add information
Description Jews' Gate Cemetery is a Jewish cemetery located on Windmill Hill within a nature reserve in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar. Also known as the Windmill Hill Cemetery, it is the site of the earliest known Jewish burials in Gibraltar. The cemetery opened by 1746 and closed in 1848. It is the burial site of a number of Gibraltar's Chief Rabbis. The graveyard is protected by the law of Gibraltar.HistoryJews' Gate Cemetery, also known as the Windmill Hill Cemetery, is located on Windmill Hill near the southern entrance to the Upper Rock Nature Reserve on the Rock of Gibraltar. It is positioned along Queen's Road, southeast of its junction with Engineer Road. That is also the location of the Pillars of Hercules Monument which depicts "The Ancient World" (see below). The earliest known Jewish burials in Gibraltar are located within the cemetery and date back to 1746. The cemetery closed for burials on 6 May 1848. A letter dated 31 May 1848 from the Colonial Secretary indicated that: "The Governor has given conclusive orders that no more interments shall take place at the former Burial Ground above Wind Mill Hill but that all future Hebrew dead shall be deposited in the allotted portion of the New Cemetery."