Keri Lighthouse is a lighthouse in the Gulf of Finland on Keri Island. The light itself is at an elevation of 31m above sea level, while the lighthouse itself is 28m tall.HistoryThe present day lighthouse was built in 1858. It is a red metal cylinder topped with the lantern room and balcony which rests upon a cylindrical stone base. This light is computer controlled, powered by solar cells and batteries.The original wooden lighthouse was built in 1724. It was rebuilt in the early 19th century with a stone base topped with a wooden tower.From 1907 to 1912 it was the only lighthouse in the world to be powered by natural gas. In 1990 the stone base began to collapse and steel reinforcements were installed. In 2007 an internet camera was installed followed by an internet weather station in 2009.SpecificationsDuring hours of darkness the light cycles with the following sequence: 13 seconds off; 2 seconds on. The light can be seen from 11 nautical miles.Postage stampThe Estonian Post Office issued a stamp commemorating the Keri lighthouse on January 15, 2003. First day cancel covers were also issued on that day.