Kirov, formerly known as Vyatka and Khlynov, is a city and the administrative center of Kirov Oblast, Russia, located on the Vyatka River. As of the 2010 Census, its population was 473,695.HistoryKhlynov was first mentioned in 1374. It was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Moscow in 1489 and became known throughout Russia for its clay statuettes and whistles. It was also managed by Khanate of Kazan and was known as "Hılın". The town's oldest surviving monument is the Assumption Cathedral (1689), an imposing structure surmounted by five globular domes.In 1780, Catherine the Great renamed the town Vyatka and made it the seat of Vyatka Governorate. The town also served as a place of exile, notably for Alexander Herzen, Alexander Vitberg, and Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin. By the end of the 19th century, it was an important station on the Trans-Siberian railway. In December 1934, it was renamed for the Soviet leader Sergey Kirov, who had been assassinated on December 1. However, whilst the name Kirov has remained since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, numerous institutions such as the university bear the former name of Vyatka.