|About||Lancaster Public Library is located in the heart of the historical Village of Lancaster. We are a member of the Buffalo & Erie County Library System.|
For a complete listing of programs and upcoming events go to our webpage by clicking on the link above.
Lancaster Public Library - 189 Years Old and Growing
The Lancaster Public Library predates the founding of the Town of Lancaster and from a time when the settlement was known as Cayuga Creek.
Robert Earl Blaney in his history “150 Years”, written in 1968 for the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Presbyterian Society of Cayuga Creek (Lancaster Presbyterian Church) writes of the founding of Lancaster’s Library. The following excerpt is from Mr. Blaney’s book.
Lancaster’s First Library
On December 11, 1821, about forty men from Cayuga Creek Settlement met in the Johnson School House at Broadway and Cemetery Road and organized the Cayuga Creek Veterans’ Library Association. These were veterans of the Revolution and the War of 1812. Theophilus Huntington was president of the organization, with Henry Johnson, Jr. librarian.
A list of the library books can still be seen. They were kept in the Johnson School House until the Presbyterian Church was built. In 1833, the Veterans’ Association, all Presbyterians, gave the library to the church where it was maintained.
In 1881, Mrs. Edward French took charge of the library and under her leadership it was greatly enlarged. Dr. F. H. James was president for many years thereafter. At the end of each year he made up all deficits and gave $100 for new books. When Mrs. French left Lancaster, Miss Anna E. Thatcher succeeded her as librarian holding the position for forty-nine years. In 1831 (sic) the church gave the library to the town of Lancaster.
The actual date of transfer of the library collection to the Town of Lancaster was 1891. That year, saw the library incorporated as a village library with the official title – “The Lancaster Library”, and a room rented in the church building for $25.00 per year.
After construction of the Town Hall in 1894, the Library moved to public spaces in t