The Latvian National Museum of Art is the richest collection of national art in Latvia. It houses more than 52,000 works of art reflecting the development of professional art in the Baltic area and in Latvia from the middle of the 18th century until the present time.The museum is located in building in Riga, which is historically significant. The building at 1, Janis Rozentāls sq. was designed by the German architect Wilhelm Neumann and built in 1905 — it is one of the most impressive historical buildings on the boulevard and is situated next to the Academy of Art. It was the first building in the Baltics to be built for the purposes of a museum. Reconstruction of the museum was announced on 25 May 2010. Reconstruction was finished on 1 December 2015.