Leposavić is a town and the northernmost municipality in the Mitrovica District in Kosovo. As of 2015, it has an estimated population of 18,600 inhabitants. The municipality covers an area of 539km2 which makes it the fifth largest in Kosovo, and consists of town and 72 villages.It is a part of North Kosovo, a region with an ethnic Serb majority that functions largely autonomously from the remainder of ethnic Albanian-majority Kosovo. After the 2013 Brussels Agreement, the municipality became part of the Community of Serb Municipalities.HistoryThe Sočanica Monastery was founded in the 13th century by King Stefan Milutin. Many of the settlements were mentioned in the Studenica charters of King Stefan Dečanski (r. 1321-1331).From 1877 to 1913 Leposavić was part of Kosovo vilayet.Yugoslavia (1918–92)After the First Balkan War (1912), Kosovo was internationally recognised as a part of Serbia and northern Metohija as a part of Montenegro at the Treaty of London in May 1913. In 1918, the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, later named Yugoslavia was established by the merging of the Western South Slavic states. Between 1929 and 1941, the region was administratively part of the Zeta Banovina.