Partnering with the horse, we serve individuals with cognitive, physical, and psychological disabilities.
- Loudoun Therapeutic Riding, a Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (PATH) Intl. Premier Accredited Center, was formed in 1974 to empower and improve the lives of people with cognitive, psychological and physical disabilities through the benefits of equine assisted activities and therapies.
- Equine Assisted Activities (EAA) are widely recognized as being an effective therapy for people with disabilities. Horseback riding develops self-awareness, builds self-confidence, improves concentration and increases self-discipline. Riding also strengthens and relaxes muscles; improves posture and core strength, balance and coordination; and increases joint mobility. Off the horse, programs also improves self-awareness and self-image. Working towards these goals carries over into improved function in all activities of daily living.
- Our PATH Intl. certified instructors are specially trained in teaching methods that use equine assisted activities to assist people with physical, cognitive, behavioral and mental health challenges to learn horsemanship skills and benefit from the equine partnership.
- Programs: Throughout continuing eight-week sessions skills are developed which address each participant's specific challenges.
-For riders with physical disabilities, the horse's motion closely replicates the human gait as they sit astride the horse's back at walk, thus helping to improve the rider's posture, joint mobility, balance, and core muscle strength.
-For participants with cognitive or emotional challenges the relationships formed with the horse, staff and volunteers can lead to increased self-confidence, patience and self-esteem.
-Other goals include improved concentration, attention to task and enhance functional life skills.
- Our horses and ponies are partners in our programming and are carefully screened and trained to assure suitability. Adaptive equipment is used if necessary for a rider to safely participate, and an PATH Intl. certified
|Awards||PATH Intl. Premier Accredited Center|