|About||Through careful management, nature has reclaimed a good part of these former manor house grounds, which have a variety of habitats and facilities to enjoy.|
The land that now forms the park once belonged to the 18th Century Douce's Manor (formerly St Leonard's), which still overlooks the park from St Leonard's Street.
The lake is thought to have been made in the early to mid-1800s by damming the Ewell stream. It may have been stocked as a fishing lake for the manor or nearby abbey.
You'll find the remains of an ice house (listed Grade II by English Heritage) near the water in Ice House Field, next to St Leonard's Street.
The ice house chamber is believed to have been built between 1776 and 1789 for keeping ice from the lake for use in the manor kitchens.
During World War Two the field where the ice house is was used as a prison camp for interned Germans.
Kent County Council bought the 52 acres that now form Manor Park Country Park in 1973 and opened it to the public in 1976.