The Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry is a research institute of the Max Planck Society located in Martinsried, a suburb of Munich. The Institute was "founded in 1973 by the merger of three formerly independent institutes: the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, the Max Planck Institute of Protein and Leather Research (founded 1954 in Regensburg), and the Max Planck Institute of Cell Chemistry (founded 1956 in Munich)."Currently, the institute hosts seven departments: Cellular Biochemistry (Franz-Ulrich Hartl) Molecular Biology (Prof. Dr. em. Axel Ullrich) Molecular Cell Biology (Stefan Jentsch) Molecular Medicine (Reinhard Fässler) Molecular Structural Biology (Wolfgang Baumeister) Proteomics and Signal Transduction (Matthias Mann) Structural Cell Biology (Elena Conti)Research GroupsCurrently the Institute hosts 24 research groups, including 5 emeritus research groups.Graduate ProgramThe International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) for Molecular and Cellular Life Sciences is a PhD program covering various aspects of life science ranging from biochemistry to molecular medicine. The school is run in cooperation with the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, and the Technical University of Munich.