|About||The McClure S.A.L. is very active in Veteran affairs and an active part of our community. Proud sponsor of the McClure Veterans Memorial Pool, McClure Little League, Memorial Day Service and annually hold a Car Show in June|
The American Legion Post #942 held its first organization meeting September 27, 1946 with 23 servicemen present. 18th District Commander, Harry Zeiders of Newport, Pa., was in charge.
Officers elected at the second meeting, Oct. 11, 1946 were Archie Baker, commander; Warren Baker, Sr. vice commander; Robert Erb, Jr. vice commander; Kenneth Swanger, finance officer; Palmer Marshall, chaplain; Paul Reiss, Sgt. at arms; and Daryl Ammerman, adj.
Meetings were held monthly in the McClure Fire Hall. In 1948, they moved to a room in the McClure Playhouse building, in the spring of 1949, a plot of ground was purchased east of McClure on which the present building was erected. The Legion moved to this new home in 1950. A permanent charter was granted by the National and State Commander Nov. 14, 1949, Charter members are: Warren A. Baker, Donald E. Baker, Paul F. Reiss, William F. Conner, M. J. Spigelmyer, GIen A. Arnold, Millard Hoffman, Harvey D. Erb, Raymond A. Baker, Alton S. Brininger, John R, Swanger, Edgar Hackenberg, Glace M. Ewing, Cecil S. Yeater, Robert A. Erb, Basil E. Ammerman, C. M. Hoffman, Daryl Ammerman, Theodore R. Erb, Paul F, Erb, Archie Baker and Nelson Baumgardner.
Since the Post’s inception, the members have taken an active part in community development and national welfare. Each year the Post entertains the children of the area at Christmas time and takes an active interest in the Memorial Day observance. The Post has sponsored several championship ball clubs over the past few years and took an active part in the Red Cross Bloodmobile. It has given support to the Little League ball field and shared with the Women’s Club and the Lions Club in a Scholarship Fund in the West Snyder School system. The club was honored at the last banquet to have the state commander, Harry V. Klein, in 1967.
The post has also honored by having one 18th District Commander, Rudolph Wagner, Sr., from its roll of members. The membership in 1967 was 134. 1967 officer wer