We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Mc Clure Veterans Memorial Pool

Mc Clure Veterans Memorial Pool

34 E Ohio St, McClure (PA), 17841-0155, United States

Get Directions

(570) 658-8352

Add link to website

Categories
Now OPEN
Work hours
MO 13:00 – 19:00 SA 13:00 – 18:00
TU 13:00 – 19:00 SU 13:00 – 19:00
WE 13:00 – 19:00
TH 13:00 – 19:00
FR 13:00 – 19:00
About This is the page for the McClure Veterans Memorial Pool in McClure, Pennsylvania.
It remains the only FREE admission public pool in the state.
Description The Veterans Memorial pool in McClure became a reality through the efforts of the McClure Chamber of Commerce. In 1947, the subject of a swimming pool for West Beaver Township was presented to members of the Chamber of Commerce through the combined efforts of Royal Kline, Wilson Dodd and Joseph Dodd. Minutes of that meeting show an intense interest among the members for the project. At other meetings of the Chamber during 1947 and 1948 the swimming pool was discussed at great length. At first it was suggested that the pool be built behind the schoolhouse, the site was changed later, however. Mr. C. F. Wagner, then president of the Purity Water Company, agreed to provide the water free.

The Dedication Ceremonies were held at the swimming pool located in what was known as Homewood section on the east end of town. The initial plunge into the pool by Boyd Dippery and Roy Swanger clad in the latest 1908 swimming suit styles. Just a few humorous happenings when the pool first opened, some fellows wanted to launch their canoes. They were allowed to do it this one time because there were no swimmers at the pool. One fellow got in the water with his soap and wash cloth and wanted to bathe. They informed him that he had to do that in the bathhouse and then swim. Another person went to the end of the diving board and jumped fully clothed into the water and he didn’t know how to swim.

In 1948, a committee was appointed to delve into the possibilities of going ahead with the project and action was taken by the Chamber to proceed. The committee was composed of J. H. Dodd, C. C. Wagner, and Woodrow Mattern. P. E. Marshall, W. F. Conner Jr., C. F. Ewing, W. K. Dodd, S. E. Good, R. M. Baker, R. w, Fisher. On February 25 of the same year action was taken to dedicate the pool to the veterans of all wars.

Committee Accept New Pool Site: Land Granted as Gift (Jan 1949) – At a meeting of the swimming pool committee, held in the local school building on Tuesday evening, Januar
Founded 05/28/1950
  • 34 E Ohio St, McClure (PA), 17841-0155, United States
  • Get Directions

Similar places nearby