Named after Harold Wesley Melvin, First Dean of Students
The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. The first dean was Harold Wesley Melvin, who served from the office's inception in 1930 until 1957. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs.