|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Home of the Generals|
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miami Jackson High School, also known as Andrew Jackson High School or Jackson High School, is a high school located at 1751 NW 36th St in the Allapattah neighborhood of Miami, Florida, USA. Its athletic team name is the Generals.
Jackson High School started life as a grade school. The original building was a log cabin built in 1898 on land donated by L.J. Becker. In its first year there were only 14 students.
It was replaced by a four-room grade school which was more than doubled later with the addition of a five-room annex. Due to the growth of Miami's northwestern section, more rooms had to be added, and in 1926, a three-story high school building was added. This building remained the Jackson High School main campus until 2008, when a new campus, built upon the schools athletic fields, was opened and the historical building demolished with the land it was on making up the new athletic fields. Jackson's renovation was a part of a program to completely rebuild all high schools in Miami-Dade county and was the second school to be rebuilt after Miami Beach High School. The former building was the third oldest high school building in Miami-Dade County, Florida after Beach High and the historical campus at Miami High School. The tenth grade was added in 1936, and by 1939 the eleventh and twelfth grades were added. By then the elementary grades had been dropped. Jackson's first graduating class had 79 students.
After World War II, the sixth through eighth grades were dropped, making Jackson High School a senior high school, as it remains today.