Milngavie railway station serves the town of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, near Glasgow in Scotland. The station is 8+1/2mi north west of Glasgow Central on the Argyle Line and 9mi north west of Glasgow Queen Street on the North Clyde Line.Its principal purpose today is as a commuter station for people working in Glasgow city centre. The station itself is a category B listed building. Milngavie station is generally well kept and has had a history of winning many awards and commendations for the quality of the flower baskets and tubs in station garden competitions.The station is the usual access point for the 95mi long West Highland Way long distance footpath which officially starts in Milngavie town centre, marked by a granite obelisk. The first few hundred yards of the way follow the line of short spur of the railway originally built to serve the Ellangowan Paper Mills.HistoryThe station was opened on 28 August 1863, and was then part of the Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway. Originally built with three platforms, one platform has since been removed. The land where the third platform once stood has been sold and is now the site of a Kwik-Fit garage. The double track line from Hillfoot station was singled in 1990.