Mottingham railway station is a suburban station situated on Court Road between Eltham and Mottingham, in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, south-east London. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 4, on the Dartford Loop Line between Lee and New Eltham. The station is operated by Southeastern.HistoryThe station was first opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1866 as Eltham for Mottingham. In 1892 it was renamed Eltham & Mottingham. In 1927 it became Mottingham.The goods yard on the down side to the west of the platforms included a large coal office. A footbridge linking the two platforms was opened in the 1890s. Half a dozen sidings used for rolling stock were built around 1900 on the down side opposite the goods yard.A three-storey high substation was built next to the station when the Dartford Loop Line was electrified in 1926. The substation was demolished in 1957 later to be replaced by more powerful substations at New Eltham and Hither Green.On 19 March 1946 the station was the location of a fatal accident when an electric passenger train collided with a stationary light engine that was waiting to move into the sidings. The driver of the passenger train was killed and 13 passengers injured.