|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Mount Olive Lodge #79 located in Boone, Iowa. An AF & AM Lodge of Freemasonry. We welcome all to visit us for meal on the first Tue of the month at 6pm|
Mt. Olive Lodge #79 Located Boone, IA
On June 8, 1855, a group of Boonsboro, Iowa residents who were Masons from various States banded together and petitioned the Grand Lodge of Iowa to form a Masonic Lodge. The request was granted and Boonsboro Lodge No. 79 was organized on October 24, 1855. The Grand Lodge charter was presented on June 8, 1856 and the organization was completed.
In 1858, the name Boonsboro Lodge No. 79 was changed to Mount Olive Lodge No. 79. The reasons for this change remain unknown.
This new Lodge met in a room shared with the Odd Fellows. After the old wooden Boone County Courthouse located at the corner of Third and Fremont Streets was built, the upper floor was rented to the Masons for $25.00 per year, fuel included.
In 1865, the City of Boone was established by the railroad about a mile and a half east of Boonsboro. In 1866 this new town was incorporated as Montana, but by 1871, the name had changed back to Boone. By 1892, the smaller Boonsboro had become the 5th Ward of the City of Boone.
By January 1870 the Lodge was located on the north side of the public square, and after a fire destroyed it, the Lodge built a the second floor over Mallory's Drug Store, on the north corner of the block.
On December 14, 1888, Mount Olive consolidated with another Boone Lodge, St. Paul Lodge No. 361. On January 30, 1889 Mount Olive Lodge moved to the south side of 8th Street where the Elks Club in now located.
In 1905, Brother Frank Champlin passed away and left sufficient bank stock to erect a new Temple. The dedication of the Champlin Memorial Masonic Temple was made on December 27, 1907. In addition to all Grand Lodge officers, the Governor of Iowa, Brother Albert B. Cummins was present to make an address.
Champlin Memorial Masonic Temple served as Mount Olive's home for 83 years. In 1990, we relocated to our present building one block east of the old Temple. Champlin Memorial now serves Boone as home to the Boone County Historical Socie