|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Mountain View Bible Camp is sponsored by and located on the grounds of Calvary Bible Church. The camp provides young people a place for fun, fellowship, and learning what life is all about through the study of the Bible.|
Mountain View Bible Camp is located in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains sixty miles southwest of Roanoke, Virginia. Richard and Mary McHenry started the Camp as a ministry of Calvary Bible Church. They were graduates of Lancaster Bible College in Pennsylvania, seeking the Lord to know of a work to do for Him. Their friends from college days lived in Sylvatus. Through letter communication they learned that a dear invalid, Hazel Lindsey, was asking God to send a young minister and his wife to start a church and Sunday School near her home in the Hillsville area. They had a great passion for children to know the Lord as Savior. After visiting Miss Lindsey, they moved to Carroll County and started the church and Sunday School.
Eventually in 1947, they learned of a Recreation Camp on Little Reed Island Creek in Hillsville. Attracting their attention was a red barn located on it. Securing the right permission from the county, they took children on a truck for a two-week camping experience. Many of the meetings and activities were in the barn. They hung hanging blankets for room divisions for sleeping. They enjoyed swimming in the creek. Parents were invited to come for Sunday dinner. Helping them were Jim and Snowy Hall, Winfield and Stella Strock, and Harold and Grace Fenstermaker. All were pastors and their wives in the nearby area. They met there for two or three years.
In 1949 MVBC was established on the property of Calvary Bible Church. About three acres were purchased in 1946 with financial help from Mt. Calvary Church in Elizabethtown, PA. The camp used tents at first. During 1949 and 1950 a dining hall, and two cabins were built by the church family and the Camp started in its present location. In January 1955 they purchased 1.92 acres of land and that spring a concrete pool was built.
After thirteen years, Mr. McHenry believed his next step was starting Joy Ranch, a Home for Children, in Woodlawn. He went to a pastor, Dr. Frank Torrey, in Lanca