|About||Operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Arts and Culture, the National Art Gallery aims to inspire interest and promote the understanding and appreciation of the aesthetics and values of Visual Arts in Mauritius.|
National Art Gallery Act 1999
The National Art Gallery’s mission is to serve Mauritius in a national role by:
1. Promoting the exhibition of artworks;
2. Collecting and preserving Fine Arts in all its diverse forms;
3. Developing an understanding of works of art;
4. Link art with education and amplify the educational, social and cultural significance of exhibitions program;
5. Creating a meeting point for residents and visitors from other countries.
6. Policies and procedures towards these ambits are put forth in the gallery’s 1999 legislation.
1. Further art appreciation;
2. Promote the understanding of visual art;
3. Enhance the creative sensibility of the public;
4. Develop the visual literacy of the public at large.
Objectives of the National Art Gallery
1. Develop and conserve a National Collection comprising of works of art and related materials;
2. Make all endeavours towards the most advantageous use of the National Collection in the national interest;
3. Promote knowledge and the dissemination of information on art to the public;
4. Exhibit works of art from the National Collection or works of art that are otherwise in the possession of the National Art Gallery;
5. Generally promote itself in the interest of the public;
6. Provide a work site for artists;
7. Document and keep a detailed inventory of each item in the National Collection or in its possession;
8. Promote Mauritian art and artists;
9. Promote exchange of ideas and participation in international exhibitions and related matters on an international level;
10. Co-ordinate and sustain initiatives consistent with or in support of the objectives of the National Art Gallery;
11. Acquire and impart knowledge about international standards and ethics in the conservation of works of art.
Operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Arts and Culture, the National Art Gallery aims to inspire interest and promote the understanding and appreciation of the aesthetics and values of Visual Arts in Mauritius.
Director- National Art Gallery:
Thivynaidoo Perumal Naiken, Mr.
Chairman- Board of the National Art Gallery:
Darmarajen Veerasamy, Mr.