We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Once Upon a Time Antiques

Once Upon a Time Antiques

609 1st St., Snohomish (WA), 98290, United States

Get Directions

Add phone number

Add link to website

Categories
Now CLOSED
Work hours
MO closed SA 11:00 – 17:00
TU closed SU 11:00 – 17:00
WE closed
TH 11:00 – 17:00
FR 11:00 – 17:00
About Antiques & memories...
Once Upon a Time Antiques cover
Description Once Upon a Time is an antique (and more!) store that will be located in the building that was originally the Alcazar Theatre, built in 1892 in Snohomish, WA.

The Alcazar Theatre was built by a Mr. Jackson, owner of the Jackson Wharf at the base of Maple Avenue and the Jackson Row Houses at Maple and Pearl, behind the Carnegie Library Building. Opening night was noted in the November 11, 1892 issue of the Snohomish County Tribune: “Passing through the broad arched entrance, the auditorium, 33 x 45 feet in size, with a seating capacity of 350 persons, is reached. In construction and decoration no expense has been spared, and the desired result, a theater first-class in all its appointments has been attained.”

The Snohomish Historical Society archives has one theater program in its collection from the Alcazar of a production presented by the Snohomish Public Library, on April 8, 1904, titled, “The Mystic Midgets.” The program boasts: “100 Of Our Talented Young People.” And in 1906, a young Al Jolson, new on the vaudeville circuit, moved his act to the Alcazar when his booking in Everett fell through.

Charles H. Crippen is listed as the proprietor of the theater in 1909, and three years later the address, 609 First Street, is a listing for furnished rooms, which were on the second floor, with the main floor occupied as the Eastside Garage.

By the 1970s the building had found a new calling as a secondhand store, known as The Snohomish Exchange. With the establishment of Snohomish’s Historic District in 1973, it was upgraded to an antiques store and it held down the east end of Snohomish’s new moniker “the antique capital of the Northwest.”

The current owner, Jim McGinty, acquired the building from his father, who purchased it from the Crippens in the 1960's. He has taken extensive steps to preserve the building, first by adding a concrete foundation, and then a few years ago, he replaced the roof. The building is a labor of love for McGinty, and not just a money-m

Similar places nearby