|About||Our Mission “To further the Kingdom of God through the continuous formation of an individual’s faith and spirituality, intellect and the gift of ministry."|
|Mission||“To further the Kingdom of God through the continuous formation of an individual’s faith and spirituality, intellect and the gift of ministry."|
by Robert Gonzalez - Dr. Stan Green, Editor.
The date of the school’s founding is April 11, 1904. A two-story building as “solidly constructed” was erected by Luis Quintanilla, a local contractor, for $600.00.
As for the teachers, the Ursuline Sisters had been here since 1868, but in addition to their boarding school next to the International Bridge, were also in charge of the school at St. Peter’s Church. Thus Bishop Verdaguer invited the Sisters of the Holy Ghost to come.
During that time hey served the “poorest of the poor”. Most of the time the sisters shared their lunch with the children who were sent to school without any lunch, and in most cases, without any shoes. Despite teaching in a poor community, the number of both sisters and the students grew. At the end of their ninth year in 1913, the Diocese of Corpus Christi was established.
These Sisters served for 9 years. In 1913, Bishop Nussbaum who replaced Bishop Verdauger upon the latter’s death in 1911, sent the Ursulines to take charge of the school. The three assigned were Mother Mary, Sister Mary Francis, and the young Sister Mary Gabriel who would become a legend in Laredo parochial education.
Our Lady of Guadalupe School had, as one of its early chroniclers recounted, its ups and downs. Although the number of pupils rose to about 300 in those early years, this was one of the poorest neighborhoods in Laredo, and most of the boys and girls could not pay fees. Bishop Nussbaum sent help when he could, but is bishopric of South Texas was not much better off than the Guadalupe neighborhood.
The financial situation of the diocese improved somewhat under Bishop Nussbaum’s successor, Bishop Ledvina. The Ursulines were allowed o carry out a parish-wide fundraising. Bishop Ledvina invited the Oblate Superiors to help run the chapel and school. The Oblates were men of vision who saw faith and education as an integral part of the parochial school. The Oblates made the mod
|Founded||April 11, 1904|