|Work hours||Add information|
|About||We are a family and youth camp, affiliated with the Church of God (Anderson, IN), with deep roots in the Church of God Reformation Movement.|
In the fall of 1884, D.S. Warner conducted revival tours and preached at camp meetings in the Midwestern United States. Brother Warner formed his evangelistic company in the summer of 1885. The members of this company included Nannie Kiger of Payne, Ohio. In the year of 1895, D.S. Warner and A.J. Kilpatrick were the evangelists for the first Tent Meeting held at Kilpatrick Grove. By 1923, the cottages had been built by permission of owner, Oliver E. Kilpatrick. In the year 1924, Oliver E. Kilpatrick sold the property to the Camp.
At the 1925 annual business meeting, discussion centered on constructing a building, because the tent owned by the church was no longer useable for the camp. In the winter of 1925/1926, men began cutting native timber for the framework of the tabernacle. The construction was completed in time for camp meeting in 1926. Soon after the completion of the tabernacle the murals were painted by Henry Kilpatrick.
History always repeats itself. First there is a need. Then God’s people set out, with His help, fulfilling that need. Those who grew up loving these grounds and the old tabernacle will now leave the same legacy for their children.
After some 80 years, in the year 2005, another annual business meeting was held for the discussion of closing/moving the campgrounds, or building a new tabernacle. In the year 2006, the decision was made to build a new tabernacle. In the spring of 2007, a meeting was held at Rose Hill COG to discuss the selling of the old tabernacle to a group in Colorado who buys and rebuilds old buildings. The vote was unanimous to sell the old building for the price of $4500. In July of 2007, the first meeting of the Payne Camp Meeting of the Church of God was held in the new tabernacle.