Harris Township is a civil township of Menominee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,895 at the 2000 census.Communities Harris is an unincorporated community in the township on US 2 and US 41 at. A post office named "DeLoughary" was first established here on July 8, 1880, named for its first postmaster, George W. DeLoughary, a local farmer. The office was closed on May 4, 1883, after DeLoughary resigned. The office reopened on July 13, 1883, with postmaster Michael B. Harris, a lumberman who had settled here in 1875 and was later a state legislator. On September 6, 1900, the office was renamed for him. Perronville is an unincorporated community in the township on M-69 at. A railroad was built through here in 1873 to haul ore and timber. The settlement was named for Menasippe Perron, who built a dam and sawmill here in 1883, and became the first postmaster on September 11, 1897.GeographyAccording to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 143.2sqmi, of which 143.1sqmi is land and 0.1sqmi (0.10%) is water. Most of the Hannahville Indian Community Indian reservation is located within Harris Township.DemographicsAs of the census of 2000, there were 1,895 people, 656 households, and 516 families residing in the township. The population density was 13.2 per square mile (5.1/km²). There were 862 housing units at an average density of 6.0 per square mile (2.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 76.20% White, 0.11% African American, 21.16% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.69% from other races, and 1.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.37% of the population.