The Regent's Park Barracks, commonly known as the Albany Street Barracks, is a British Army barracks located on Albany Street, London, near Regent's Park.HistoryThe barracks were constructed in 1820-1821 as cavalry barracks for the Life Guards and the Royal Artillery as part of John Nash's original design for Regent's Park. Nash had originally intended the barracks to be situated in the northern area of the park, well away from the residential area, and separated from the rest of the park by Regent's Canal. However Nash's plan was not accepted in its entirety by the Crown with one of the changes involving a change in the location of the barracks to its present site.Originally designed to house 450 officers and men and 400 horses the barracks were almost entirely rebuilt between 1891 and 1893. The rebuilding followed the original general layout, and carried out under the supervision of Colonel R. Athorpe. The layout comprises a complex of buildings arranged around a parade ground. The only building to survive from the original barracks is the Officers' Mess which was built between 1820 and 1821 and is situated on the east side of the parade ground. Other buildings at the northern end of the site include the Gothic chapel which was built in 1857 and the hospital which was built in 1877. Three parallel blocks used for soldiers' accommodation and stables, service buildings and the riding school were all built in 1891. From 1896 to 1969, the Royal Horse Guards were based there, which later became part of the Blues and Royals.